View Single Post

Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 PM

Liked 924 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
Sorry for your troubles. Given your description it is unlikely to be an ammo problem, but next time you get it back from the factory I'd try other brands of standard velocity .22 just to be sure. Model 41s are "supposed" to like CCI SV but maybe yours doesn't. Please let us know what happens.
My 1990 M41 was at best *meh* with CCI SV and this was the 'old stuff' before the ammo shortage and before CCI's quality control went in the toilet. Now, it seems it's not much better than bulk, a lot from too much wax lube on the projectile and gunking up the chamber. I was using the old 'black bullet' in the 50rnd boxes and function was fine, but performance was just meh.

Then, a fellow 41 shooter told me to try the Wolf MT, made by SK and it made all the difference. That 41 really started to sing, both with better accuracy and smoother function. Bought 2 cases of the Wolf and never looked back. This was in 2002 or so. In hindsight, I believe that besides the better QC at SK (German manufacturing, ya know), I believe that the 'greasy kid stuff' lube they used just worked better in the tight tolerances of the M41 than the dry wax lube that CCI and most american manufactors use. All my .22s run better using it. When it runs out, I'll be getting the SK Standard Plus since that's what it was, in a different box, but the ctgs had the SK headstamp. The new Wolf made by Eley I've no experience with and cant comment on.

That *could* be one solution.

Other solutions that could hold promise are:
Running a brick of CCI high velocity through the pistol to burnish and wear in moving parts. Something like Mini Mags, but NOT the hyper velocity stuff.
Polishing the chamber and/or the feed ramp. Sometimes, these might still be rough from the factory. Close inspection with a bright light will help here. Chambers are tight enough as it is and the slightest roughness can really screw you up.

HTH, some.

Rob
The Following 3 Users Like Post: