View Single Post

Old 01-18-2020, 02:59 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts
Default I Yam Wit Dat Guy, Sevens

Couldn't help but use an oldie but goodie.

I hated the 469 (of which over 97k were produced in its run) so much so that I've got six of 'em; another four Model 669 and (yep, still more) added three 6906s. I even went so far as to acquire two "RSR 6690s and one 4690 Transitional/s."

Then there is the loss of yet another 669 - among the purely suh-weet-test carry (and shoot) sidearms I've ever owned - to the TSA when I checked in for the starting leg of a business day trip and forgot it was in my briefcase.

Between that loss (plus a duty holster) and a $1,500 fine to Homeland, I figured it was the price one pays for not going to jail. (And no, being an ex-LEO didn't matter one iota. Even a local CoP of a large department got popped for improperly stashing his secondary on his ankle and missed his desired flight dealing with his transgression)

I at least didn't face prosecution but the whole deal was a huge professional embarrassment to me. I mean HUGE. A local, young LEO pissant started lecturing me on "ALWAYS knowing where your weapon is." Heck, that 669 and I were seeing action before he stopped crapping his diapers.

I'd like to make it clear that I was not angry with Homeland Security or its TSA: I plainly screwed up and paid a price I wished not to have paid. But the whole deal was on me.

Nevertheless, it's clear the originator of this thread got a darn decent deal for $200 and I congratulate him.

As for Sevens: The issue for the 469 recall revolved around the half-cock position. Like he, I'm just not into sending any weapon off for service as long as the issue is manageable - and I certainly believe such to be the case in this situation. Most of my 469s haven't had a projectile go for a trip down their barrels in years.

At sometime in the future - after I've kicked the bucket - someone else will have to wrestle with the subject. I hope he, too, will be disposed of managing the situation instead of sending it away to the Smith & Wesson of tomorrow. Hopefully, subsequent owners will be disinclined of returning any of my former 469s for the work until sometime in the 23rd Century.

Now THAT is something I'd like to see.

Later.

DC