View Single Post

Old 01-20-2020, 10:30 AM

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk52 View Post
I don't own a mod 41 but I used to build them during the mid 80's. Fitters are, or were back then, required to assemble a certain amount of guns. We were on "piece work", the more you made the more you got payed. I don't know how it is now. On the most part, fitters were very conscientious of building a quality product. Some were better than others. Building a gun that had problems functioning would cut into a fitters quantity of guns per day resulting in less pay. You were required to re-fit problem guns on your own time, some were worse than others, but on the whole, most guns went through with no problems. Regarding sending guns back to be reworked, the time I was working in "outside repair" we would get guns in from customers with an enclosed letter stating there concerns. We would do a total re-fit if necessary, we were not under pressure to do a required amount per day. One problem with building new guns or repair work from a customer is the fitter does NOT fire the guns after work is done, we were at the mercy of the people in the range for feedback on function. On rare occasions when fitting the Model 52's I would go into the range to observe the guns being machine rest fired if there was an unusual "problem gun". Otherwise only specific people were allowed in the testing range.
That's for the insight! I, perhaps like many, thought the person doing the repair was the person test firing the gun. Only makes sense to me to see if "I" fixed the issue and not have a third party translated it for me.

This return has an "elevated" status, whatever that means. So hopefully I should return not too long from now. It is scheduled to be delivered today. Thanks again.
The Following User Likes This Post: