View Single Post

Old 01-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Liked 5,205 Times in 2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshow View Post
Very interesting thread, but I have found some contradicting data from Hodgdon's online data manual. Most folks here seem to agree that a slight bump in powder weight using 357 brass is beneficial, however Hodgdon appears to claim the opposite! I used their calculator and selected 148gr HBWC & HP-38 for both calibers, their results:
38 SPECIAL
3.5-4.0 grains, 869-956 fps
357 MAGNUM
3.0-3.4 grains, 845-908 fps

Note the MAX load for 357 is BELOW the 38 STARTING load ??????????
Very confusing to say the least! I think I've lost my faith in Hodgdon's calculator. Any thoughts?
Simple: The limit is caused by the HBWC; it has nothing to do with the powder pressure. So it is NOT a usual MAX load due to pressure concerns. In my experience , even a MINIMUM load of Green Dot can blow the skirts off HBWC!!
Added: And the more air space you have under a HBWC, the more likely it will blow the bullet into two pieces, maybe even sticking the skirt. It has to do with forming a pressure wave, like leaving an air space above a black powder ball, which can bulge the barrel. Internal ballistics do not lend themselves to intuition, or "common sense" based on what we think we know, but most don't. Using a short cartridge and seating the HBWC right down on the powder is safer.

Last edited by OKFC05; 01-21-2020 at 05:44 AM.