View Single Post

Old 01-23-2020, 11:32 PM

Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBellCSI View Post
I shot 75 rounds of Federal Black Box today and I had five failure to fires. It was not like the last time, where I had a dead trigger. The bolt was fully closed and the hammer was cocked. I inspected the rims and there was a prominent strike in all of them. The strike was at least as strong as with the cases that fired correctly. I reloaded one of them in a magazine and it fired. For one of the failed rounds, the previous round sounded weak. I did not notice that with the other four rounds. After shooting the Federal ammo, I shot 50 rounds of CCI standard velocity with no failures. This may be due to the Federal ammo, but why was I able to shoot 100 rounds with no problems the last time I tested? They were all from the same box.
What is your experience with non-CCI ammo? For those that have replaced the firing pin with an after market part, did you see any improvement with the cheaper ammo?
I must lead a sheltered life, as I haven't ever seen any Federal Black Box 22 ammo. The only Black box that I had been aware of was Winchester, and several of us that tried it had nothing but problems, too much wax, FTF, FTE. Most of the Federal I have seen was the blue boxes, which work great for me, and the Walmart Red boxes along with the white box semi-auto 22lr, which worked in some guns and not in some of my other ones. But almost everything I have tried in my 15-22 has worked as expected.