View Single Post

Old 01-29-2020, 10:36 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,669 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck48834 View Post
Curious what everybody favorite hunting and range load is for the 460 S&W? Lately I've been shooting a lot of the 250 grain Speer deep curls loaded with 29 grains Hodgeon H110 for range ammo and thinking of using 240 grain XTP and 47.6 grains H110 for a hunting load.
For hunting my preference are copper monolilthics; Cutting Edge, Barnes, and North Fork are my preference.

For me the 260 CPS that was offered by North Fork is my go to bullet for hunting.

For hogs and deer most any of the jacket bullet that is designed for 460 pressure and velocity will perform reasonable well, the XTP MAGs, Deep Curls and Swift A-frames are good choices.

Remember terminal performance is only achieved when the bullet is in the velocity design window.

On a side note I am sure many have used the 200 FTX on deer and other animals but I find these bullet opens to fast and bullets fragments to easy. I ruined a few hog shoulders when I first started using the 460 and determined this bullet terminals were poor on big game animals.

For punching paper the 225 FTX driven at max (1900-2000 fps)
offers shooter the full 460 experience when punching paper at a more reasonable cost than the 200 FTX or the XTP MAGS.

Asanother aside when shooting the 460 you dont have to drive bllets to the max to have good accuracy. Most of my 300 grain loads (Speer, XTP MAG, SWIFT) are just above listed minimum with 4227 group rather well.

be safe
Ruggy
The Following 2 Users Like Post: