Thread: M29 4in Loads
View Single Post

Old 02-02-2020, 08:13 PM

Liked 523 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
Welcome! I'm sure we would be interested to hear under what circumstances a .44 Special was "inadequate" for your line of work!

In any case, slower bullets tend to print high due to longer barrel dwell time. A lighter projectile of similar shape with the same powder charge 'should' (all other factors being equal) probably print closer to the sights if you think these may be just as effective.
Sincerest thanks to all of you for the welcome, and all of the productive responses. A lower rear sight is certainly a better option than raising the front, as is considering lower weight bullets. I felt I owed it to myself, (and Smith and Wesson) to experiment with a heavier bullet given the result of the following experience.

My job often puts me in confrontations with angry critters, from unreasonable broncs to blood thirsty bovines. The instance in question concerned a 1000lbs+ steer whose life goals contradicted my plans for him. In his protest he absorbed two 260gr #429421 in front of 7.7gr Unique, one behind the shoulder and another through his brisket, after finally being put down by a third between his eyes. My horse was our only salvation, as his cow-sense outweighs mine dramatically. Penetration was adequate, but there were no exits. I would have preferred putting him down with one, and I acknowledge that better shooting and a hotter load would have accomplished that end with my Special. My .44spl has done everything I've ever asked of it in my normal day-to-day work. My experimenting with the m29 is an attempt to make up in velocity and punch what I lack in horseback shooting skills.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: