View Single Post

Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 AM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

I shoot a 9mm Shield in IDPA matches, which typically run 90-120 rounds over 5-6 fast-firing stages, with magazine changes. I don't know how they make a gun that small so painless to shoot, but I think I could shoot 2 matches in a row without a problem.

I have also shot those matches with steel K frame 38 Special revolvers. The 38 Special ammunition was LESS powerful than the 9mm ammo I use in the Shield. I tried using the stock Magna (wood) grips with a BK grip adapter (naturally) at first, but could not stand the recoil by the end of the second stage (40 shots max) and had to switch to rubber grips with cushioning over the backstrap.

The lesson for me is that the Shield is MUCH more comfortable for extended shooting sessions than a revolver unless the revolver has cushioned grips. But cushioned grips make the gun larger and so harder to conceal. So while I carry a revolver (lightweight J frame 32 H&R Magnum with +P ammunition) more often than the Shield, I have stock (small) grips on it for better concealment.

This means I cannot (comfortably) use the carry revolver for range sessions - I can tolerate a maximum of 12 rounds of the +P ammo before my hand hurts too much to go on. I can shoot more using a steel-frame 32 with cushioned grips and lower powered ammo. But with the Shield I can go all day with pretty much any ammo.