View Single Post

Old 02-06-2020, 12:00 PM

Liked 1,324 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigil617 View Post
I spent an hour or so last night reading every post that the Forum search returned for the keyword "Fresno." (Yeah, I gotta get a life.)

All I could gather is that the Fresno Sheriff's Office switched from 4506 to 4566 pistols at some point. It wasn't clear whether the duty guns had the integral rail, but my hunch is that if they did, there would have been some photos and sales reported. My hunch is that the 150th Anniversary guns were special-order in limited quantity, just the way many agencies had anniversary editions of weapons that had been or were being carried at the time, and that the integral-rail example didn't memorialize an actual duty weapon. Instead, it was an attractive and desirable item to purchase.

According to Google, the Sheriff's Office was founded in 1856. That makes the 150th anniversary in 2006.
I worked for the Tulare Police Department in Tulare County, the county just south of Fresno County. I can tell you from personal knowledge and observation that the Fresno SO did issue the Stainless 4566 with integral rail. I saw a lot of deputies carrying them. As I recall, they still had some 4506's in the field after they began issuing the 4566. I don't know how long that lasted. They also issued the Chief Special .45 to some deputies. There may have been others I'm not aware of, but i wouldn't be surprised if the 4516 was also among them, or maybe the 4513.