Thread: 48-4
View Single Post

Old 02-07-2020, 12:03 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,164 Times in 2,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post
That 48 of yours is one fine looking gun. Wasn't that red ramp an option and not standard? I think you did very well on that one. Congrats.
Don't want to derail the original post but I'll add a little more info and ask a question as well. The finish looked almost too good for a 60 year old gun but good enough that I figured if it was a re-blue it had to have been done by the factory. Turns out it has a 1969 date stamp on the butt with an R-S so it is a factory refinish.

I'm ok with that as I'm one of the folks that thinks that since the same people using the same tools and the same focus on quality, did the refinish as well as the original finish, that a factory refinish from that period has little impact on value.

I've seen some other 48s with the red insert on the front sight so I think it could have been an original option or may have been added when the refinish was done. It also has a white outline rear sight which I wonder if is original as well. Either way the sights are great and I'm eager to get it to the range.

I may letter it, had an interesting letter on another factory re-finish that made the letter cost worth every cent, maybe this one had an interesting life too. Doesn't appear to have seen much use since that re-finish back in 1969.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
The Following User Likes This Post: