View Single Post

Old 02-08-2020, 12:35 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,340 Times in 5,474 Posts

Good points made by several members. All I would add is that jacketed bullets require greater force to move through the forcing cone and bore due to the higher degree of resistance caused by the harder surface of the bullet jacket.

Good cast bullets of suitable diameter and profile are much easier on the gun than any jacketed bullet, requiring lower charges and pressures to achieve any given level of performance. For the quality vintage firearms you mention cast bullets would be my preference, allowing reasonable use with less stress on the firearm, thus retaining original condition for future value.

RE: gas checks; as mentioned above, not a requirement for modest loads. A good cast bullet that properly fits the gun can be driven to 1000FPS or more without leading. In .38 Spl, .44 Spl, .45 (ACP or Colt) there is nothing to be gained. In fact, I routinely load .357 magnum plain-based cast bullets to ~1200FPS with no problems in any of several vintage revolvers (Model 19, Model 28, pre-27, Colt SAA).

Any of the modern cast bullet lubes are more than sufficient for modest pressures and velocities. I have always used NRA-formula Alox, which some object to because of smoke and sooty residue, but I never experienced any difficulties.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: