View Single Post

Old 02-10-2020, 01:24 PM

Liked 1,827 Times in 987 Posts

As mentioned by several posters above, large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers by .008". They will fire OK when loaded in pistol brass and may not be a "standing tall" problem when squished down to be flush or below the case head. I started reloading pre-web so I tried a lot of "odd" stuff to see for myself and large rifle primers in large pistol cases was one. I only had problems with one revolver when the primer wasn't pushed back after firing enough to clear the recoil shield...

I have very few variations from what's "supposed to be" and "what I can get away with" when reloading. I look at guns as precision machines that contain up to 50,000 psi just inches from my face and I normally treat them as such. I measure my guns. I practice well known safe reloading practices and even when I "experiment" I have some knowledge of possible outcome. So, even when supplies are short, I see no reason to use component combinations not recommended by common sense, those not seen in my manuals, or just plain stupid...

Last edited by mikld; 02-10-2020 at 01:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: