View Single Post

Old 02-10-2020, 03:29 PM

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,260 Posts

Well I cleaned up the little 3 incher and popped off about 55 rounds of mixed ammo at my back yard woodpile. All factory FMJ, JHP or JFP, both 38 and .357. I was shooting at 7 yrds then 15 yrds. First thing I noticed was the sights aren't the best for these older eyes, but Oh Well! Maybe some fingernail polish?

The sights were set way to the right but the barrel doesn't looked canted so I centered them. Started with 38's and found the sights set way too low, so I raised them. They were bottomed out.

I was shooting to the left but discovered the small grip was causing bad trigger finger placement so adjusted that. Unfortunately my natural inclination is to stick my finger in too far. Not sure how to fix the grip without putting stupid looking large grips on it.

The 38s were most all older 38 +P duty rounds left over from qualifications over the years (my old 60 no -). Old RP JHP and early Speer GD's and a few Federal Hydroshocks. A very few Fed FMJ's 38s that weren't +P and several Speer Lawman 125 grain TMJ non +Ps. All were very pleasant shooting with mild recoil. I also shot about 5 or so aluminum Blazer 357 JHP's. They were obviously hotter than any of the 38s, +P or not, but very tolerable other than the difficult extraction. Also 3 orphaned Federal .357 JHP Hydroshocks. They were also very tolerable. Other than the Lawman rounds I'd just be guessing on the bullet weight of the rest as they weren't in their boxes.

I also popped off 5 158 grain .357 Federal American Eagle JFPs that were still in the box. Being the American Eagle label I figured they would be mild - NOT. Those were the only rounds I would call unpleasant out of the little gun. They didn't hurt but definitely had recoil that would slow your timing down a bunch. Compared to everything else they were a surprise. They also shot a lot higher. With how thin the forcing cone is on that gun, and being so little and thin walled in general, I wonder on the advisability of firing very many rounds like those.

Overall it seems like a nice little gun.
The Following User Likes This Post: