View Single Post

Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 AM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4barrel View Post
Looking at the photo the fired bullet appears to be a lot smaller in diameter. The bullet should measure .452 but if it measures even .449 it can't stay in a fired case. Now we need to know the diameter of the fired bullet. If the bullet was really soft and the pressure just right it could maybe distort a bullet. I did that to a Remington wad cutter. That is the base of the bullet in the brass. The bullet nose actually hit the 25 yard target. I have some 200 grain loaded with 4.7 of bullseye and I used to shoot 5 grains in bullseye with a Clark Heavy slide. Heavy leading is a bullet lube problem or <probably not> the wrong size.
In my reply #23 above I quoted the original poster's statement that his bullet did not move out of the case. I'm taking him at his word. You are arguing that what he wrote occurred is not possible.

In my reply #13 above I wrote about my own experience blowing the noses off soft swaged hollow base wadcutters so I'm aware that can happen.

In his latest reply the original poster added that a piece of his bullet hit the back stop. With a solid base bullet I think that would only be possible if the bullet was swaged out of two pieces of lead. One piece left first venting the gas before the heavier piece moved. Could the piece that left first have been attached to the heavier piece at the nose firmly enough to stretch the nose into a point before separating without dragging the heavier piece out of the case?

Last edited by k22fan; 02-11-2020 at 03:44 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: