View Single Post

Old 02-11-2020, 10:35 PM

Liked 2,219 Times in 618 Posts

Bill Rogers was an FBI agent. He left the bu to produce his plastic holster designs and other products at his family business in Florida.

After a similar discussion here, I asked Bill Rogers about his grip origination since the grips are clearly derivative of the pre-Monogrip 2-piece grips by Guy Hogue. I had always guessed that Rogers made a financial arrangement with Hogue. Apparently not.

Of course Hogue did not originate palm swells or finger grooves, but he made the most of the concepts. 2-piece Hogue grips often had the islands in the inletting like Rogers, and some had the locating pins too.

Some assert that Rogers also made wooden grips, but not that I know about. Anything wood is a Hogue. Of course, Hogue later came out with his own line of plastic grips.

===================

To: SG-688
Date: 3-28-12 6:14 PM
Re: Pattern for original Rogers grips ?

I purchased a pair of Hogue grips in the late 1970s. They did not fit my hand but I liked the palm swell concept that Guy Hogue had developed. Also the fit on the revolver was loose.

I then made my own grips that fit my hand and transferred the patterns to carbon. We then used the EDM process to make molds for the patterns. I designed the molded tabs that would automatically fit the different variations of the Smith Frames. I then developed the process to make the Burlwud, synthetic wood finish.

I hope this is helpful.

----Bill Rogers

=================================

IIRC, Rogers patented the Burlwud (tm) process.

I'll attach the Rogers fitting instruction, a 1982 catalog page that is similar to the 1970's catalog, and a comparison picture of the early thin to later thicker grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rogers catalog grips 1982.jpg (60.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Rogers grip instruction ca 80.jpg (72.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Rogers N thin v thick 3 arrow sm.JPG (95.3 KB, 120 views)
The Following 8 Users Like Post: