Thread: Cylinder Boring
View Single Post

Old 02-12-2020, 03:13 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

I have already fit a 4" barrel from a 16-4 and a .32 SWL cylinder to it and it shot one hole at 30' with wad cutters. But, the cylinder, which I got dirt cheap, turned out to have 6 bad chambers and causes the SWL brass to bulge. The perfectly adjusted extractor star that came with it was worth the price that I paid for the cylinder, so I feel fortunate for having found it.
I've been searching for another cylinder but at this point, I don't want to wait for something that I may never come across, hence the desire to have the .22 bored.
Thanks gents, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Mercury
You're very welcome.

Before scrapping your 32 Long cyl, I would try to identify the cause of the sticking cases. For example; where does the brass bulge, up near the mouth of the case (as I suspect), near the case head, etc.? Hopefully not at the cyl locking notches.

By reaming the chambers with a 32 H&R finishing reamer, you will shave the chambers slightly for their full length. You just may find that it straightens the chamber walls enough to prevent the cases from bulging and sticking upon extraction. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain if it works.
S&WCA #819