View Single Post

Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Liked 26,336 Times in 9,128 Posts

The very first thing you have to think about is: WHERE AM I GOING TO RELOAD? You need some space and a solid table or work bench. You will need to see what you are doing too, so the area needs lighting.

Secondary recommendation, Brands. When buying new Lee, will be the CHEAPEST! In both meanings of the word. You can mix brands of equipment as long as the die sets and the press use the standard 7/8-14 thread pattern. Try to keep the die sets in one brand so you can swap small parts when one breaks. (many thing are covered by warranty, but it takes time for them to arrive. Most brands, the decapping pins are not warranty items, so a pack of extras is a safe bet!)

If you are REAL GOOD at following directions, you can start with a progressive, but a single stage is far simpler.

STAY AWAY from: light weight aluminum presses. Durability comes from mass or at least thick castings.

When I have to buy new dies and I'm in a hurry, I prefer RCBS or Redding Die sets! But I'll take a bargain on used any brand! Lee has very short dies as a rule, but that usually not a problem until you get into progressive presses.

Powder measurers (also called DROPS) are a necessity, buy a very good one for the rest of your life. (Lyman 55 is a very good time proven design)

Ivan
The Following 4 Users Like Post: