View Single Post

Old 02-13-2020, 06:44 PM

Liked 5,592 Times in 1,613 Posts

I bought a Model 25-5 4" gun in the early 1980's when S&W reintroduced them. It was a beautiful gun and in the presentation case. My intention was to shoot the heck out of it with cast bullets at moderate velocities.

It was also one of the guns that had ridiculously large cylinder throats, something like .457". It leaded badly. S&W should have been ashamed of themselves for allowing guns like that to get off the assembly line. I ended up selling it at a loss.

I would take a set of pin gauges with me if i were ever to consider another one. I seem to recall that a few years after that debacle S&W would replace the cylinder with one of more proper dimensions if the customer complained and I would have taken them up on it but it was too late.

Interestingly enough, I also have a Model 25-2 in .45 ACP. It has .455" throats and is very accurate with hardball. I understand that they also can be made to shoot accurately with really hard cast round nose bullets but haven't tried anything but factory 230 gr. ball ammo in it.

Last edited by Walter Rego; 02-13-2020 at 06:47 PM.