View Single Post

Old 02-13-2020, 07:53 PM

Liked 1,023 Times in 510 Posts

Perhaps a small consideration: My THREE inch K frame JUST BARELY extracts a 38 Special case fully from a chamber, while a TWO inch J frame leaves ~0.458" of a 38 Special case in a chamber at full ejector throw. (I assume a 2" K frame would be the same but don't have one to check.)

A 357 Mag case is 0.15" longer than a 38 Special, and so would leave ~0.608" of the case in the chamber of a 2" gun at full extractor throw. If you're ever in need of a rapid reload, you're probably more likely to get one with the shorter 38 Special cases.

And if you're looking for more power, it might be worth checking out the 158g Buffalo Bore +P 38 Special loads. They list the hollow cavity cast lead bullet at 1040fps out of a 2" model 60. I haven't measured that particular round, but other BB loads I have checked always come in right around the numbers BB advertises. For comparison, the Remington 158g lead hollow cavity +P load that I have measured out of a 2" model 49 came in at 820fps. So the Buffalo Bore is steaming along about 25% faster, which you can have without swapping cylinders or doing any other gunsmithing.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: