View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Liked 11,740 Times in 5,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf18 View Post
Fellows. This is a "general" question. Loading for handguns is somewhat new to me. I'll be loading for a Model 65 in .357 magnum using the 100's of 158grain Hornady bullets I purchased years ago.

I realize that asking for a choice of power is opening a can of worms as everyone has their choice. I've got a couple kegs of WW231 and would like to use. BUT, from what I gather, it seems that powder is just OK and that there are "better" options.

If I look into other powder options should I simply look for a powder that has a burning rate that is "popular" when using these heavy weight bullets?
You can use W-231/HP-38 in the 357 Magnum, but, just like with Bullseye and any other fast burning rate powder, there will not be much powder in the case, so be careful that you don't double charge a case. You also will not be getting magnum velocities and with jacketed bullets, I think they are best reserved for high velocity loads. W-231/HP-38 in the 357 Magnum is best suited for light, target loads using lead bullets. For load data, use 38 Special data and expect to add 0.2 to 0.5 grains extra to compensate for the larger internal capacity of 357 Magnum brass.

Last edited by stansdds; 02-15-2020 at 09:39 AM.