View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 AM
US Veteran

Liked 50,370 Times in 6,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Hi,

Case length...you say 1.280-1.285".
Since the 30 Carbine headspaces off the case mouth, isn't proper case length dependent on the combined value of the depth of chamber cut plus the gap between the breechface of the cylinder and recoil shield? While a -0.005" headspace allowance is customary, if there are any variations in chamber depth (say, caused by reamer wear, operator error, etc.) or headspace (caused by wear, endshake, etc.), it is my experience when reloading rimless cartridges for revolvers these values need to be known on a gun by gun basis.
Without knowing this, it is entirely possible to reload a cartridge that binds in use (or jams the gun entirely) or, conversely, exhibits excess headspace.
You make good points, but the case overall length I've quoted is directly from the original specifications for the .30 Carbine cartridge. If you wish to fine tune case OAL for a particular gun, of course that's entirely up to you. In my knowledge, Ruger did a decent job of producing their guns to match factory standard case dimensions. Staying to those original specs should pretty much keep you out of trouble.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 02-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: