View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Liked 476 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
found this thread on here from 2009 - check out replies #3 - 7 - 9 - 10- 11 -12 - 13 - 15 -18 -

Oops, large rifle vs. large pistol primers
...and yet, while folks claimed there was no danger, all of them admitted it was a mistake and none of them advised the OP to do it again.

If it works for you.....fine. But do not advise others to use improper components just because you've yet to experience an issue. Why do manufacturers still make two primers that fit in the same hole different lengths? Why is it load manuals do not tell us to just buy one primer for both large pistol and large rifle? All of mine say to use the appropriate primer listed in the recipe. Lotta folks on internet gun forums claim they have no issues with Blue Dot in .357 with 125 gr projectiles or .41 mag loads and chastise folks that heed Alliant's warning against these usages. Don't make it right to tell others it's okay. Being able to just do something and doing it right are two different things. My LGS sells both LP and LR primers, side by side, for the same price. One case of each takes no more room than two cases of either. Unless I'm desperate, I see no legitimate reason to interchange them.
The Following User Likes This Post: