View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 01:21 PM

Liked 4,339 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf18 View Post
Fellows. This is a "general" question. Loading for handguns is somewhat new to me. I'll be loading for a Model 65 in .357 magnum using the 100's of 158grain Hornady bullets I purchased years ago.

I realize that asking for a choice of power is opening a can of worms as everyone has their choice. I've got a couple kegs of WW231 and would like to use. BUT, from what I gather, it seems that powder is just OK and that there are "better" options.

If I look into other powder options should I simply look for a powder that has a burning rate that is "popular" when using these heavy weight bullets?
For an accurate load 2400 is my choice with a 357 mag with a 158 jacketed or gas check bullet and you don't have to use a magnum primer + the powder pretty much fills the case + you can back the charge down with out a problem. Price wise 231 will load a lot more bullets per pound for plinking and I use some with 45 and 38 but not my first choice. 231 is very good with lead bullets in 38 special--especially 141-148 wad cutters but I use bullseye for them. There are lots of powder choices. I target shoot 1-2 times a week and pull my better targets and file them and mark them in my Lyman reloading manual. What ever has the tightest group is normally what I load unless I am trying a different powder. When I get through testing I usually go back to the tried and true loads. I am retired and the range is 4 miles away and I spend 4-6 hours a day in my man cave. That's my powder story and I'm-- stikkin to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04197.jpg (140.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by 4barrel; 02-15-2020 at 02:22 PM.