Thread: Once shot brass
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,491 Times in 2,190 Posts

I sell it as range pick up not once fired. I know that most of it is once fired because I get it directly from a known source but I also pick up other peoples brass and I have no way to know. I've never had an issue with range brass. It's all I reload.

At my particular range people sweep up their brass and throw it in a bucket. Those people don't reload so I'm assuming that most of that brass is once fired. If they reloaded they wouldn't be throwing it in the buckets. But there's always a chance that someone has reloaded the brass in the past and no longer wants it for any number of reasons. A few days ago I found several hundred pieces of 22-250 in the bucket that wasn't once fired. I don't reload that cartridge so I had no use for it. If I had I would have picked it up and processed it being careful about it's condition. Somebody will eventually grab it and reload it. That's a pretty hot cartridge so maybe not the best example of using range brass if you don't know where it came from. Mostly I shoot .223/5.56 and low pressure pistol cartridges. I don't load hot either.

If you have concerns you're probably better off buying new brass just for the peace of mind.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 02-15-2020 at 03:20 PM.