View Single Post

Old 02-17-2020, 04:35 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts
Default The 9MM Model 52

With apologies, Fellow SWF Members:

Promised many days now past, finally here are 5-Inch slides and other ancillary parts arranged neatly (I hope) and named, starting on the far side (hmmm, reminds; time for a few tunes):

Okay, some notes that may turn into a full description. Hell, I don't know.

Note that when mentioned is "4-inch" or "5-inch" the reference is to the intended and coincidental barrel length, not the frame or slide lengths.

In my purchase notes, the seller described the slide's user as a "Smith & Wesson professional and a member of Team Smith & Wesson" (TSW) who wished to "practice with 9mmX19mm."

I neither remember hearing or asking for that professional's name, but he or she (should the latter exist as a part of TSW) sought lighter recoils and etc.

I tried the slide on my 52 no-dash, which would've been the Team Smith & Wesson's firearm of choice at the time, and it, as might most suspect, mates to the Model 52 no-dash without any hassles.

However, decided were to mount herein the 5-inch carbon slide (far left) on a nickel 39-2 frame and (far right) the stainless steel 5-inch slide on a 39-2 allow frame. Each slide is arranged so that one can see the rolled "Smith & Wesson" on each of those two slides. For reasons not clearly understood by yours truly, the intended frame for the slides' mount and practice use was the Model 39.

While we're on the subject of "frames," in the very middle, and squared to the front of the far-right frame, is a standard 4-inch 39-2 frame, laid so that up is down and down is up (get it?)

To the left of the middle frame and working back toward the far-left frame is a guide rod - the 5-inch variety - and a fully finished 5-inch barrel to which the slides were mounted; usually done the other way 'round, according to my purchase notes (also previously forgotten), this was done so as to keep expenses down, or, to facilitate easier equipment carries - the two thoughts being purely imagined by yours truly and not conveyed by the seller.

One last notable item on that 5-inch barrel: The chamber's top has the very same and perfectly arranged verbiage as is found on a Model 39's 4-inch barrel: 9MM CTG.

While the mated SS slide on the alloy frame (at right) doesn't show well at the rear, the slide mates all but perfectly (one supposes) there as well as at the front, where one can see how nicely the frame and slide cuts match. Insofar as the left-side composition is concerned, it accomplished much the same thing as at right; matching were both the cosmetics at the front and rear as well as all along the contact surfaces of the slide and nickel-plated frame.

Last but definitely least comes the 4-inch guide rod and spring.

Okay, you all, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm interested in learning of my fellow Forum members' thoughts.

Later - DC
The Following 4 Users Like Post: