View Single Post

Old 02-17-2020, 09:45 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,562 Times in 5,845 Posts

While it was not my first 500 Magnum, I have had my 4" for perhaps 16-17 years now, I enjoy shooting it and it is small enough to be carried on a giid belt with a good holster

As a hand loader I appreciate the cartridge very much. You can use projectiles from 275 grains through 725 grains. They can be lead, coated, plated or jacketed. Plus you can load those from mild to wild. Here are some early cast projectiles.

Remember every projectile in that photograph is 1/2" across. The light one on the left is 450 grains while the big wad cutter on the right is 725 grains.

Since then I have a new mold that makes the BIG wad cutter slightly smaller, but also has pins to drop that as a hollow point . Strange as it may sound, I have more molds for my 500 than any other caliber.

Most of my .500 molds have come from MP. Their Kramer style molds are outstanding. This one drops 600 grain solids, but can also be setup with a HUGE Hollow cavity that is either round or pentagonal in shape

I even have a few hat I have not cast from yet. . . . Moving is hard on the shooting sports