View Single Post

Old 02-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo5 View Post
I feel your pain. I had a new mid-1990s era M41 that was a great shooter, until it wasn't. Around 2002 or so, it started to malfunction. The trigger would not reset. It made two trips to S&W and came back with a list of things they had replaced, all for naught. It continued to malfunction in the same way. I finally sold it and the five 12 round magazines that I had accumulated for action pistol competition. My impression of S&W service was that they had a bunch of rookies working on the guns who did not really know how to diagnose problems. They were just guessing, and replacing parts. And not testing to see whether they had solved the problem or not.
Around 2006 I purchased a used early 1980s era M41 after test firing it with the original owner. I competed in action shooting with it for 3 years. I don't shoot it much anymore, but it has never malfunctioned, not even once (touch wood). I use SV ammo only.

In the past year or so, I have purchased five guns from a large volume online dealer. Three revolvers, two of them were Smiths and one was a Ruger single action. All three had to make trips back to the factory for initial quality or functional problems. Ruger still malfunctioned after two trips (the cylinder latch would not hold) and I had to fix it using aftermarket parts. Both Smiths came back from the factory with finish damage (little dings and scratches).
The other two guns I had bought online were S&W polymer framed auto pistols, and had absolutely no issues with either of them.
My guess is that the polymer guns are easier to manufacture since there are fewer parts to assemble, and some of them are molded to net shape or near net shape. Revolvers and other all-steel guns have alot more machine parts to assemble. Some of those parts are outsourced and apparently the quality plan is not adequate.
I have used online vendors to save money, but I would not do that again. I would not buy a S&W product unless I could thoroughly inspect it and even disassemble it. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble IMHO.
" I would not buy a S&W product unless I could thoroughly inspect it and even disassemble it."

I did purchase both of the 41's over the counter. I examined them to the degree that I could but of course they were new so the FFL wasn't about to let me take them to the range and run a couple of hundred rounds through them. I consider myself fortunate that the dealer gave me my money back. I don't think that is a too common thing. But, I have purchase quite a few guns from them and they want my continued business.

Thanks to them I am not still running back and forth to FedEx and calling SW every other day. I'm just pleased that it is over.

I'll stick with my other SW 22's, the 617, Victory and four others. They all work great............ as of now. Thanks.
The Following User Likes This Post: