View Single Post

Old 02-19-2020, 10:34 PM

Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts

rosewood, that's a good point, but I'd expect that the difference from POA to POI at very short ranges should be no more than the distance from the center of the bore to the top of the front sight. That should be about an inch low. That amount of error at short range is perfectly acceptable to me. Most of my guns are like that when checked with the bore sight.
However, the guns in question are 3" to 4" low at 20 ft. with the bore sight, and shoot similarly low at 20 ft at the range.
If the gun is zeroed at 30 yards, then the bullet shouldn't reach the 3-4 inch low point until reaches 75 yards or so out.
I like to use this calculator: Ballistic Calculator GunData.org , it has all kinds of useful information.
What I'm noticing is that on the affected guns that are 3-4" low at 20 feet, they are waaaaaay low at 25 yards, I have to aim over the top of the target to hit the bottom. Actual bullet drop from the muzzle to 30 yards is only about an inch or so. So those sights are way off.
I agree with you though, if the gun is properly sighted at 25-30 yards, you're still "minute of bad guy" all the way along that distance. One of my instructors is big on "aim small, miss small", so that's why I'm trying to get sights on various guns to be on target, especially over that 0 to 30 yard distance.

Vinny, that's some pretty good shooting there. My normal range doesn't allow draw or rapid fire unless you're in a class. So, I try to present the gun from my chest to arms extended and put one shot on an 8.5 X 11" sheet of paper at 7 yards as quick as I can push the gun out. So far nobody's complained about that yet.
The Following User Likes This Post: