View Single Post

Old 02-21-2020, 03:45 PM

Liked 1,361 Times in 506 Posts
Default some musings about my 642, a P365, and bullet weight

My preferred concealed carry is my 642, with Altamont smooth rosewood boot grips and a titanium cylinder to replace the original stainless steel. Empty, the gun weighs 12 ounces even.

My shooting buddy is seriously thinking about getting a Sig P365. I've thought about it too, so yesterday we rented one at an indoor range. I put over 100 rounds through it, shooting mostly at 7 yards, but also some at 10 and 25 yards. Some random thoughts.

1. I shoot it noticeably better than my 642. I'm not bad with a snubby, but even with years of practice I shot the Sig better.
2. It shoots more like a compact gun than a subcompact. In other words, in shoots bigger than it is, if that makes sense. Not as good as my Shield .45 though.
3. The rental gun had the magazine with the little pinky extension. If I were to buy one, I believe it comes with two mags, and I'd make them both flush. The pinky extension does nothing for my XL hands.
4. I very rarely pocket carry my 642, but the P365 fits in my jeans pocket much better than the 642. The extra weight didn't seem that much, although I think I'd have to tote it around for a while to make that judgement.
5. It also shoots soft. I expected a 17 ounce 9mm to be a bit snappy, but it's not.

So why do I think I'll stick with my 642? I don't know. I just feel good with it. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and decide to go buy the Sig.

I also wanted to try some lighter bullet weights in my 642. My reloads are a coated 158gr RNFP bullet with 4.5 grains of Unique. They consistently shoot very high at only 7 yards. I mean about 4-5 inches high, which frustrates me. (I've never actually measured it to know exactly.) So yesterday I shot 10 of my buddy's reloads, coated 125 grain bullets and 4.5 grains Unique. He also brought some Federal HST 130 grain +Ps for me to try. I hoped lighter bullets would hit lower, and to my surprise both loads hit pretty much to POA at 7 yards. So I have some Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P's coming, to replace the 158 grain Buffalo Bore rounds I currently carry.

It's funny. My 158 grain reloads shoot POA at 7 yards in my 640 Pro and 686. But way high in my 642. I have a strong grip, but maybe not strong enough.

That's it. Just wanted to share some thoughts and observations.

Last edited by hyena; 02-21-2020 at 03:50 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: