View Single Post

Old 03-09-2020, 05:32 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,350 Times in 561 Posts
Default My credit card was compromised...

Captain Steve,

It appears that your CC number may have been fraudulently obtained using a credit card "skimmer". In my opinion, this is a real problem. From your post, you've already reached that conclusion.

This is a royal PITA since some of these devices can be very difficult to detect. They can be anywhere that a CC or debit card is accepted, including ATM machines, self-service gasoline pumps, etc. We've seen these problems, and the resulting fraud in both the Atlanta and Austin areas. The devices themselves are often very difficult to detect.

In the case of restaurants, the perp takes the card somewhere out of sight, scans it in to the restaurant device for an expected charge, and also scans the card in to his/her "skimmer". The "skimmer" stores the data in to a memory device which the perp later retrieves. The perps later use the data themselves, or they sell the data to a third-party.

As you described, the best defensive tactics that we can utilize are to work with our credit card companies to quickly identify all fraudulent activities or unauthorized charges.

In the past I have contacted my credit card companies before I travel (especially internationally), or plan to make a large purchase. During the conversations the representatives have disclosed to me that most credit card companies today have "Fraud Alert" or "Fraud Detection" departments. They continuously run system analysis programs using standards, algorithms, etc. and transaction reviews to immediately detect fraud.

Other than the time spent for the notifications (which could have been better spent at a LGS or on the road), I was pleased to read that you, once again, defeated the "bad guys"!!

Bill