Thread: Bodyguard
View Single Post

Old 03-12-2020, 01:23 AM

Liked 3,030 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiegoldie View Post
the magazine, American Gunsmith, apparently had an article in the August 2018 issue about the problematic design of the firing pin in the BG. i tried to get a back issue but they do not sell back issues. someone in this forum might have a copy and could explain the deficiencies in the firing pin design......
The article wasn't specifically on the light strike issue but did cover the issue, while not specifically calling the design at fault. It involved increasing the length of the firing pin cross pin slot by relieving the front of the slot (primer side) 2.5mm. The purpose is to allow more of the rear of the firing pin to protrude so that the hammer is in contact with it for a longer period of time, which should increase the velocity of the firing pin resulting in more force applied to the primer. Lengthening the front of the slot for the firing pin block MIGHT also be necessary. Properly done the rear of the firing pin should protrude toward the hammer (hammer cocked) about 3.5mm whereas it originally protruded about 1mm.

Info from American Gunsmith Magazine August 2018 Sergey Lyalko

I don't guarantee the accuracy of my abbreviated version. I do still have a PDF of the article.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: