View Single Post

Old 03-13-2020, 11:01 AM

Liked 410 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Renauld View Post
Dear Forists, as a "super-enthusiast" of Model 439, I would like some information onthe Model 439 (1980 era) with adjustable sights, any body owns one of this???, I will like some info regarding accuracy, best loads and range or hunting experience with this gun
Best Regards
Robert Renauld
The only experience I have with the 439 was putting down white tail deer along the road that had been injured by getting hit by vehicles. I generally used head shots with our issue W-W 115 grain JHP +P+ ammo. The 9 MM is an effective cartridge if you put the bullet in the right location. Our issue 115 grain +P+ produced the same results on deer as I achieved using a 125 grain JHP 357 Magnum out of a 4” model 66.

I always got good accuracy out of 115 grain jacketed hollow point ammo. My agency used reloaded 9 MM ammo with a jacketed truncated cone FMJ bullet in my Academy class that was pretty accurate. I don’t know if this was a 115 grain or 123 grain bullet but my 439 was a very good shooting service grade pistol. The Sierra 115 grain JHP always produced good to superior accuracy for me in reloads.

As for accuracy the typical 439 was more accurate than the Officers on my Department could shoot. One of the range Officers from my class challenged the top Cadet shooter to a competition at 25 yards at bullseye targets. The Range Officer (Jerry C.) shot a random cadets 439 upside down while our top shot Mike S. shot his 439 right side up.

The Range Officer posted a better score with all 10’s and numerous X’s. The Top shooting Cadet had shot very well but Jerry C. was a expert shot and had won many pistol competitions in his day. Jerry was in his mid to late 50’s when I went through the Academy and Mike S. was in his mid twenties.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-13-2020 at 05:46 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: