View Single Post

Old 03-17-2020, 09:27 PM

Liked 4,805 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4barrel View Post
What were the best 4 types of ammo for the 50 yard test? Was the barrel a drop in? How do you rest your barrel? What scope?
Hi,
The barrel did great with Eley Tenex (no surprise), RWS rifle match, and (the then new) SK Standard. Remington Target (20 yrs old stuff) was also good, but you could almost feel the flyer with the recoil. The big surprise was how well Aguila standard velocity performed! Back then, the boxes were marked "ELEY PRIMED". Lapua was also great, but back then was very hard to find. Fiocchi Match was terrible. CCI was pretty good, but I saved that for the standard barrel.

The barrel is a drop-in, but the trigger guard did lock up a bit stiffer.

For testing, I used a Salyer red dot sight (as used in matches), and also a 4x Tasco rifle scope. The red dot was fine for 25 yd tests. In fact, they weren't even tests, as tight one hole groups were totally predictable. The scope proved itself for the 50 yd line. I shot off three sandbags, one under my wrist and two up front. I tried using a two hand grip, but recall getting good results holding the scope tube with my offhand, similar to the old NRA silhouette field pistol hold. I had to use a bulky jacket under my elbow to help with that hold.
The toughest part was holding my head just right without getting a crook in my neck!

One very interesting thing...the barrel came with a set of instructions written by Jim Clark. He described how S&W made interchangable breech blocks to fit to the slide. There were three types. One had the rim counterbore centered, one had it slightly to the left, and one had it slightly to the right. Apparently you could use these to adjust the alignment with the bore and fine tune the overall reliability of the M41.
I wonder how many S&W collectors have accounted for this in their collection?

Jim
The Following 4 Users Like Post: