View Single Post

Old 03-19-2020, 09:51 AM

Liked 5,390 Times in 2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post

In a perfect world, I'll use 4.8-4.9 grains as that is what I am using for my 38spl loads and not having to reset the powder measure between my 2 most common calibers would be awesome. Some internet sleuthing says 5.0 for 124gr Berrys is a common, middle of the road load. (perfect, but that's also confirmation bias speaking)

So A: immediate question - Does 4.8-4.9 grains of Unique seem reasonable based on your experience and B: long-term question - How do I as a novice reloader deal with such a large variance in data from 2 very credible sources?
You don't specify the weight of bullet in your .38 Spl loads. I'd guess you're using 158 gr. If so, that's just a tad warm, you're approaching +P but you're not there yet-at least with some bullets and depending upon seating depth.

Back when, I used to use 4.5 g Unique for both 158 gr .38 Spl and 125 gr cast lead in 9 mm. In 9 mm, that barely made 1000 f/s. They were reasonably close to factory in .38.

My experience is that with Unique (and BE86) in 9 mm, around 0.3-0.4 gr less powder than you'd need for a jacketed bullet of the same weight will produce about the same velocities with a plated bullet. The jacket being softer and requiring less powder to drive the bullet at XXXX f/s.

In short, your 4.8-4.9 gr powder measure setting is probably OK for both (5.0 gr being a long time published maximum load with 124 gr jacketed bullets), but it does depend upon your loaded overall length. If you can, load up about 5 as test items and carefully check your primers after firing.'

Added: there seems to be a fairly wide variation in rim diameter in various 9 mm sources. Do yourself a favor and do your die setup using a 38 Super shell holder. Or use the Lyman shell holder, it's the same for both. That will cover about any make of 9 mm brass.

Last edited by WR Moore; 03-19-2020 at 05:54 PM.