View Single Post

Old 03-20-2020, 09:58 PM

Liked 804 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
If you're concerned about the possibility of losing a slide or two just bump the sights off and send them sans slide. Those sights are notoriously stubborn to get off. My recommendation is a brass drift punch and a copper hammer. The forces and shock loading imparted by knocking the slight off is nothing compared to the violent action they are subject to during live firing. Just don't hammer on the blade but direct your blows against the sight base.

I always use a copper hammer...With a copper head hammer, a missed blow will merely leave a copper crayon mark that can easily be wiped off with a copper solvent...Instead of a permanent dent.. Same deal with the brass drift punch...it'll leave some marks here and there which are easily wiped off with copper solvent.

You can see a bit of a brass "crayon mark" here just under the dovetail cut...

I have a couple sight pusher tools too including a factory S&W unit but they little use. Only when I need to make a precise windage adjustment do I use a pusher. otherwise, when removing or installing sights... A vise (jaws insulated to protect finish) and a brass drift with copper hammer.

Cheers
Bill
Please don't use a hammer with night sights. The gas in them is radioactive. You do not want to crack the lamps and breathe that in. A sight pusher is the proper tool.

Is there any reason you cannot just buy replacement night sights and replace the dead ones? Seems if the cost of losing the slides is that high, the cost of new night sights should be easily justified.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: