View Single Post

Old 03-21-2020, 01:16 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,180 Times in 645 Posts

In my 20 years in the armory Ive probably installed/replaced several thousand sets/front sights on different models,S/W , 1911, Glock, others . XDs being the hardest I believe. We probably had a dozen or more sight installation/adjustment tools , I wont go into problems with them, most stayed in the box.
Brass punch, shaped correctly, brass, copper hammer and a good strong vise with padded jaws was all any of us ever used. There are some learned techniques to make it easier, pre-fitting the sights etc. Some sights being made softer than others.
Granted the first few times its a bit nerve racking and you need a strong grip so maybe taking it to a gunsmith isn't a bad idea for someone who doesn't do it very often. Im not sure I would mention the nuclear material,HA! I know it wont explode.
Also had a lot of officers send slides to Trijicon, and we sent in a few hundred. I only remember 1 being lost by an officer. I would use USPS not UPS, lots of gun parts lost there. Insure it anyway and tagging it isn't a bad idea.
Front sight being the easiest to skip off the base and break be sure to keep a good edge on your punch. If you do break one just don't pick it up by your bare hand. I dont have any parts glowing yet and Ive broken a few taking old ones off usually because they were loctited in or the lock screw was stripped out or similar.good luck

Last edited by CALREB; 03-21-2020 at 01:27 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: