View Single Post

Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Liked 4,803 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFramer View Post
I would, but every one I’ve tried (including single stroke pneumatics) are too loud for apartment use.

If you own a home, sure, but it’s not a possibility for apartment people.
NOISE....
I borrowed my brother's Webley Hurricane when I lived in an apartment. No problem with the noise, but the overall balance, trigger and sights were truly terrible.
Maybe call up Pyramyd Air and ask them? They also post great reviews from customers on all their airguns. Surely the issue of noise has come up?

I have found that a lot of the noise problem comes from the choice of pellet trap/backstop. The cheapest/quitest solution is a cardboard box packed with a soft filling (cloth, foam, etc.). Paper or cardboard filler is a bit noisier.

You can also make a noise baffle from a long cardboard box.
You shoot through a hole cut on each end, with the long top, bottom, and sides lined with foam cushion material. You insert the muzzle an inch or so, the pellet passes through and out the other end to your target trap.
I did this with an old Crosman multi-stroke pneumatic when I was a kid. Two pumps was for low power and low noise. My Mom liked this solution!
Admittedly, this is easiest done with an air rifle.

Jim

PS: The top level target air pistols have adjustable air regulators that vary the muzzle velocity. Prior to my Pardini, I shot a Steyr LP1 with compressed air conversion. With the muzzle velocity set low (400 fps, or so) it was quiet enough that my wife could sleep while I shot in the attic.

Last edited by 6string; 03-22-2020 at 03:27 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: