View Single Post

Old 03-23-2020, 06:13 PM

Liked 6,617 Times in 2,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
For a while I tried looking around for an extra-power rebound spring, but no luck.
A couple of the older Chiefs were brought to me a few years ago for inspection and cleaning, and both of them had surprisingly HEAVY DA triggers. I sort of expected to find them heavily fouled, thick oil/grease, etc inside. Not the case, though. Instead, oddly enough, both of them had longer rebound slide springs in them than we'd been told were supposed to be in J-frames (17 coils, versus 15 coils). Neither of the frame studs appeared to have been damaged or bent, but those longer springs had to have really been shoe-horned to fit in that short space.

I called someone I knew at the factory, who once upon a time had worked in revolver repair and had done "trigger jobs" (simple jobs not sent to the PC). I asked him when they'd used the longer 17 coil springs in the J-frame, as that hadn't been mentioned in my armorer class. He said that to the best of his knowledge (dating to the 70's) they'd never been used in the little 5-shot snubs.

When I replaced both of them with new 15 coil (light blue) slide springs, which were the proper part numbers in my revolver parts lists for them, the triggers felt normal. However, both of the owners were pleased with the DA trigger pull and thought I'd done a "trigger job" to their guns.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 03-23-2020 at 06:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: