View Single Post

Old 03-24-2020, 03:06 PM

Liked 2,113 Times in 632 Posts
Default My version of J frame smooth target stocks

I recently purchased a 651 and although the factory square butt stocks are very nice, I wanted something a bit larger.

My considerations in designing these were (in no particular order):

appropriately scaled to the J frame

sized to fit comfortably in my medium sized hand

look cool, and hopefully not amateurishly made (my first try at this, so not sure I succeeded here)

be of dimensions that would not take away from the spirit of this being a kit gun

I started with some locally grown black walnut. I cut out a template of the frame and used a Bosch PR20EVS router to do most of the inletting. This is one of my favorite tools. Light and small, I recently used it on door frames to inlet some new hinges. I then used small files, chisels and sandpaper for the rest of the inletting.

I took inspiration on the shapes, thickness, and curves from a few different stocks...K frame targets, K frame Herrett's Shooting Stars, K frame Magnas, and even a Colt SAA (go figure). So if you can't quite put your finger on what these stocks remind you of, it's because they take elements from several types.

I will update this thread with a few more photos when they are complete.

If a Moderator wants enlarge these photos, please go ahead. I'm an empty nester now and my photo insertion expert isn't around to help out pops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3797.jpg (141.7 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3799.jpg (147.3 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3800.jpg (142.4 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3802.jpg (251.8 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3804.jpg (267.4 KB, 615 views)
The Following 13 Users Like Post: