View Single Post

Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 PM

Liked 7,386 Times in 2,512 Posts

Contrary to what arrogant people may assert, bad guns typically don't sell, and when they do, they quickly receive an overwhelming amount of negative feedback from those who have bought one then subsequently had problems with them.
Consequently, truly bad guns obviously won't receive much praise, ergo if a firearm gets mixed reviews with a fair amount of praise, then obviously they can't all be bad, at worst they just have poor quality control.
Lastly, most folks who lack much experience with a firearm tend to shy away from praising a firearm, especially when it has a bad reputation. (If anything, they're actually more likely to misinterpret any bobble they experience, regardless of the circumstances in which it occurs, as confirmation that it is indeed of poor quality/reliability.)

However, the reverse is not true, there are plenty of folks who lack experience with a particular firearm, some of them have never owned or even shot one, yet they're all too happy to join in bashing it with plentiful secondhand anecdotes regarding how poor quality it is.

So yeah, Bersa's aren't junk, nor are firearms by Taurus, Kel-Tec, Charter Arms, or many of the other firearms that get mixed reviews. They're just lower cost firearms, and sometimes an unfortunate consequence of lower cost firearms is lesser quality control, because time is money, so less time goes into inspection and acceptable variations in specifications tend to be looser.

Now I know someone may come along shortly to tell me in the rudest, most condescending way possible that I am wrong because they personally had negative experiences with one or more of the brands I mentioned, to which I will preemptively say; Granted, but your experience does not represent every single person who has ever owned one. In fact, I'm confident that there's at least one other person here who has had the exact polar opposite experience as you. The world is an imperfect place, things go wrong all the time, especially when less time is devoted to assuring that everything is in proper working order, but even when it is, things may still go wrong. The difference is, people have a tendency to stick with what they know, even if what they know isn't necessarily correct, ergo they're more likely to quickly accept an issue with something that has a bad reputation as confirmation, yet dismiss it when something goes wrong with something that has a good reputation as coincidence or otherwise as just a bad egg.