View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 03:44 AM

Liked 305 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post
I never thought of leaving the screws nickel plated. It does give the piece a sectional detail that looks good in my opinion.

Say, the hand loaded rounds? One looks like the standard 158grain round nose? ...The other looks unique to me. A Semi-wad cutter with a short snout....Which mold is that one? Or did you modify the bullet after casting? Even a 105 grain SWC has a longer snout.

Murph
These are 160gr .361 bullets, swaged from 158gr .357 lead round-nose flat-point bullets. I don't cast, but I do metalwork so setting up swaging dies wasn't too tricky. The bullets are deep-seated over 2.7gr. of Unique with a CCI 500 small pistol primer. From a 1-5/8 inch barrel these do 722 fps. and produce 185 ft./lbs at the muzzle. I've put over a thousand rounds of this load through my .38 safety Hammerless, and they work well in this gun too. For recreational shooting with this gun, however, I load a 125gr/.357 TCL bullet over the same charge. This is good for 621 fps. and 107 ft./lbs. Much more 'antique-friendly.'
The Following User Likes This Post: