View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38SPL HV View Post
Personally, never had too much luck having Unique measure accurately for 9mm charges. Switched to Bullseye and WW231 for all 9mm needs when we reloaded for them back in the 1980s.

I reserve Unique for heavier charges using cast bullets in 38-44 and Mid Range 357 Mag loads.

Alliant Powder seems to be pushing its new “Sport Pistol” powder nowadays for 9mm.

Hey, good luck back there in NJ. I have a few friends left in the region. Hang tough and be safe.
As 38SPL HV point out Unique has poor metering properties, so poor that I reserve it for loading 20 gage shotshells. Specifically the standard deviation for Unique in a Volume powder measure is 0.17 grains. Multiply that by 3 and you have a 6 sigma variation of +/- 0.51 grains. As a result some of your thrown charges will weigh in at 5.6 grains and some will weigh 4.6 grains. If all you have to use is that Unique I urge you to hand weigh every single charge. While it is time consuming you have the time to do it and in about 100 charges thrown you will come to understand that Statistics do NOT lie.