View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,141 Times in 1,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyaljeeper View Post
So, I was always a Mossberg 500/590 kind of guy. My dad had a pistol grip 500 when I was about 10 to 12 years old. I thought it was the baddest thing; it even had a heat shield on it, Lol!
I had an Ithaca 37 16ga for about 20 years. Despite the fact I got it for Christmas when I was 10, I traded it away for almost nothing. I really wanted a Mossberg 12 ga.

I carried a Mossberg 590 in Afghanistan about 50% of the year. I came back and bought my own 500 8 plus 1 20”.

I always thought the 870 to be overpriced and less of a gun than the Mossberg. Then I went to work for my current agency in 2016. Day two they give me an 870 with wood furniture. Chief tells me they bought them 1989ish. The 870 kind of grew on me some over the next three years to the point when we retired them I was one of the first to say I wanted to buy old Betsy. I like it more than I ever thought I would. Most likely the best $135 I ever spent.
It looks just like the short magazine tube version D Brown post.
The one with the standard length magazine, high polish blue, and chrome bolt is a Model 24899 870 Police Magnum. The one with the two round magazine extension (a factory item), and Parkerized finish is the Model 24903 870 Police Magnum. I lucked out about eight years ago, and was able to locate both of these models new in the box. It's my understanding that Remington only makes these two models as special runs, and it can literally be years between production runs.

I'm hanging on to these two.

By the way, both of these Police Magnums are box stock with the one exception that I have installed a left hand big button safety on each of them.

Model 24899 and 24903 870 Police Magnums, top to bottom.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
SWCA #3279
The Following User Likes This Post: