View Single Post

Old 03-27-2020, 08:30 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

I like it! Many moons ago I owned a sporterized Enfield No. 4 or two. The one I remember the most clearly had a scope. Like yours it had a pistol grip commercial sporter stock.

The gunsmith who I used in the 1980s liked to tell how in the 1960s he bought surplus No. 4s, sporterized them then sold them for $60. He prefered leaving sanding and oiling the wood to the customer. That kept the price down while only leaving the customer a simple project.

Speculating that yours was a gunsmithing school project is a stretch. The schools are more interested in teaching how to rebarrel and bed a Mauser or Mauser derived action. That better trains students to work on commercial rifles. Also the sporterizing on yours would not have taught use of metal lathes or milling machines.

Excepting those made after WW II all the English made No. 4s I owned had over size chambers and groove diameters. with a little common sense reloader can work around those obstacles and make them shoot very well. The reduced capacity magazine was a desirable addition. It makes them easier to shoot off sand bags.