View Single Post

Old 03-30-2020, 03:44 PM

Liked 2,087 Times in 731 Posts

I may have posted this info earlier, but here it goes again. Back when I was a cop and carried a 1911, for a while I used a pricey shoulder holster. This was back in Miami Vice days. It had a retention snap, and I believe it was horizontal. Def not a vertical carry. Anyway, one day I had to go to the Judge's chambers along with the DA, the suspect, and his lawyer. After the hearing, we all left in a group. Walking down the stairs of the courthouse, the 1911 fell out of the holster and clattered down the marble steps. I was highly embarrassed to say the least. The lawyer without missing a step, said, "Good thing it wasn't loaded." Which it was and in Condition 1, and I'm pretty sure the lawyer knew it. A good guy and one of the primary lawyers then and now, and I always appreciated him fading the heat for me.

It happened again, but not so dramatically and I managed to trap it with my shoulder before it hit the floor. I called the maker, which IIRC, was in California and they said it had never been reported to them before, and they probably thought I was trying to put a move on them.

I still have the leather and maybe it was so new then that I didn't let it settle in to the gun. I've carried it infrequently since and it's been secure, but never felt the same level of trust. The objections to shoulder rigs in my OP remain and I haven't used it again in years.