View Single Post

Old 03-30-2020, 08:02 PM

Liked 2,087 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
I prefer a chrome lined bore and chamber. The life of the barrel is extended.

If the M1a/m14 is too heavy for you the Russian izmash saiga in 308win is light and accurate. With surplus 7.62 ammo she will print 1 1/2” groups at 100 yds. Not bad when these were $308 otd new.
I don't like chrome bores. Great for a combat rifle, and I guess it wouldn't matter in a field grade rifle, but they detract from accuracy. The M16A1s we had in VN had neither chrome lined barrels nor chambers and the AKs we saw did, and we wondered why ours didn't. And they didn't have a trap in the butt for cleaning equipment, got it in a nylon pouch which was easily lost. That rifle has come a long way in 50 years.

I doubt I'll live long enough to shoot out the barrel of my M1A. I didn't even know they made M1As with chrome and I'm glad mine isn't. I've got a very-good coated pull through kit, which equally doesn't matter with a field grade rifle, but it encourages cleaning..

Since the longest distance I'll carry it is from to my truck to the bench, I can deal with the 9#+ weight. While the Saiga rifle may shoot 1 1/2", I can't. Anyway, I wanted an M1A for nostalgic reasons.

Last edited by Gene L; 03-30-2020 at 08:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: