View Single Post

Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 PM

Liked 2,087 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
I never cared for the m16/ar 15 nor the 223 round it shoots. The ar 15 is way over priced. The saiga was $259 in 223 when it was first offered.
Not over priced any more. Every body is making them now and it's a buyer's market. I really like the AR and the 5.56. Very accurate rifle platform, they win lots of matches. Hardly any military shoots full-caliber battle rifles any more.

As for the M1, I've never owned one and can't remember shooting one, but have seen videos of them being shot by good riflemen. They were quite a bit superior to any other rifle of their era. They weren't a lot more accurate firing one round at a time, individually, than bolt guns, but they were a helluva lot more accurate when shot multiple times. The Bloke on the Range in his video Mad Minute demonstrated this, firing as many rounds as possible in a minute and reloading with several service rifles. The M1 shot 39 rounds, about twice as many as any bolt gun, and because the shooter didn't have to change his position to work the bolt, shot a smaller group in a much shorter time. I think for a couple of clips the shooter shot high, increasing the lateral size, but after tore the center out. I don't know the range and the M1 rifle was a Italian one, I believe, in .308. A very impressive and quite practical demonstration.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: