View Single Post

Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmansguns View Post
Hello Texas Star;

I haven't hunted in years. I enjoy the venison I do receive from many friends who do hunt Virginia during Bow, Muzzleloader, and Shotgun/Rifle season. These days the State has all sorts of very confusing rules and regulation, such as: (2019-2020 Firearms regulation and ordnances)...paraphrasing and emphasis mine:

Ordnance 24: Unlawful to hunt with rifles OVER 22 cal. except groundhogs from March 1 to August 31.

Ordnance 28: No cal LARGER than 22 during deer season

Ordnance 60: It shall be LAWFUL to hunt deer and bear from a tree stand elevated 10 feet from the ground, or a 10 foot radius from a fixed point while ground hunting, with a .23 or LARGER caliber.

The above are only 3 taken out of the pages and pages which are published and on top of those there may be (probably are) numerous additional local laws and rules. Most of my friends belong to "private hunt clubs" that have permanently leased or own, several hundred acre properties.

I believe that private property is exempt from some of the rulings, as I know of nursery owners, small farmers around here can and do take crop eating deer anytime, with any caliber, but they have special permits entitling them to do so.

I have lived in States where rules were quite different but that was years ago.....I remember Ohio in the 80's where 30 cal & up was the "rule" where I lived, BUT....the catch was "straight wall cartridges only"....Anybody who had a 30-40 Krag was OK!

West of the Blue Ridge here in Virginia I had a friend who hunted with Win Model 94 in 30-30 but that was also years ago.

PS. Yep...……...I know now what my SMLE is but I sure didn't know back then. All I knew was that the GR over the crown, stood for George Rex.....aka "King George"

Yes, King George V. Your rifle was made by BSA, a famous contractor that also made SMLE rifles commercially as well as nice Mauser and other sporting rifles.
I had a .30-06 built on their own Mauser-like action in the 1980's. I didn't have their BESA recoil reducing cuts near the muzzle and did kick. But was very reliable and accurate.