View Single Post

Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM

Liked 6,614 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity2371 View Post
The extractor on my 659 has broken. I have a replacement extractor and spring.

Were I to simply replace the broken extractor with the new one, what are the consequences of less than optimal fit?

I am located in Southern CA; is it possible there is a gunsmith in the area with the necessary expertise? Thanks in advance...
The revised 3rd gen extractors have a thick adjustment pad behind the hook area that typically (intentionally) causes the hook's reach to fall on the "wide" range of engagement. That way it can be carefully filed down to put the hook's reach within spec for any particular slide. Typically starts off deliberately too wide, so to speak, like the sear release levers have too much metal on the foot and start off too long (requiring filing to shorten them for each particular gun.)

Having the hook's reach be "too wide" would usually mean that failures-to-extract would probably happen, as the hook isn't positioned "inward" enough to maintain engagement with the case rim during recoil/cycling.

You'd have to start calling around to find a smith familiar with filing & fitting the revised extractors in the 3rd gen slides. Might still be some remaining S&W trained armorers floating around, as the pistols were pretty standard in police work before the Glock arrived.

You might have to make some calls and see if anyone in any of the local gun shops has a smith who has the tools and knowledge, or knows someone "who knows someone" (retired) who might be willing to perform the filing & fitting.

I've known other armorers, like myself, who spent their own money to order tools and parts to put away for themselves (instead of just using the tools and parts bought by their agencies while they were working). I spent a lot of my own money on those things so I could continue to service and repair my own 3rd gen guns, as well as those of some friends and family when I retired.