View Single Post

Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,087 Times in 426 Posts

Multiple times I've been asked to train whole families in home defense, including middle school age kids, petite daughter and wife, and husbands of all varieties. I teach Boy Scouts 22s & shotguns, Explorer & LE Scouts handguns. I am a former LE firearms state certified trainer including advanced techniques and a current concealed handgun instructor.

The first question the husband asks is what gun should I buy or I'll bring my plastic fantastic roscoe. I tell him not to buy anything yet and bring his roscoe another time. My first question is about his families prior experience. I bring my 22, 32, 38/357 revolvers and 22, 380, 9mm, and 40, 45 autos. I bring lever action pistol caliber carbines, AR-9s, AR-15s, and 20 & 12 gauge double, pump, and semi shotguns. I also tell him he will shoot last, keep his opinions to himself, and watch and listen to his family first.

We start with law of self defense, Castle doctrine, stand your ground law, then go thru the NRA first shots class whether or not they have shot before. I then ask if anyone thinks they can not, for ANY reason, shoot some else to defend themselves or family. (There is NOT a wrong answer but it makes them think about it usually for the first time).

At the range, we do safety briefing and shoot 22s, revolver & auto & carbines starting with the youngest and moving up in age. We then move up in calibers. Everything is 10 yards or less. With a rural family, it's a bit different. The core take away is establish a defensible room and let the bad actors make the mistake of trying to get it. No property is worth confrontation only your family.

With rare exceptions, the result is a family decision to get a mid size 38 (K frame) revolver and a 20 gauge shotgun, usually a pump but sometimes a double.

We close with what happens after a shooting and how to deal with it.

Sorry for the long post but the right firearm is only PART of the process. How you get to the right firearm and why is at least as important. I usually want three days to do this with EVERYONE present. If the family as a WHOLE is already into shooting, we won't use all the allocated time and the cost is lower.